Schaffer Cox signed letter envelope two photos

Schaffer Cox signed letter envelope two photos


Francis August Schaeffer Cox (born February 11, 1984), known as Schaeffer Cox, is an American political activist, convicted felon, and founder of an organization called the Alaska Peacemakers Militia.

In March 2010, Cox was arrested by state authorities in Alaska for failing to disclose a concealed weapon. It was reported that he assaulted his wife and pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment, but his wife joined him to publicly deny the claims, and to explain the allegations completely as lies to defame Cox.

In 2011 he was arrested for alleged involvement in a murder conspiracy known as "241" where two law enforcement officers were to be killed for each member of the Peacemakers Militia killed in anticipation of government action against Cox and weapons charges.

In March 2011, Cox was arrested on federal charges in Fairbanks, Alaska, by the United States Marshals Service. He was charged with conspiracy to possess unregistered silencers and destructive devices, possession of an unregistered destructive device, possession of an unregistered silencer, possession of an unregistered machine gun, and other related charges under 18 U.S.C. § 371, 18 U.S.C. § 922 and 18 U.S.C. § 924 and Internal Revenue Code sections 5861(d), 5871, and 5861(f).[18] Also charged for involvement in the plot were Lonnie Vernon, Karen Vernon and Coleman Barney. Cox's lawyers argued unsuccessfully that the charges should have been thrown out because the grand jury that served the indictment was flawed.

In late October 2011, all state charges against Cox and his fellow defendants were dismissed. The dismissals followed a court ruling that kept prosecutors from using, as evidence, secret FBI recordings made without a search warrant. According to Assistant District Attorney Dway McConnell, the state charges cannot be refiled. 

Cox continued to face the federal weapons charges. In November 2011, additional federal charges were brought against him. The new charges related to the alleged purchase of hand grenades and silencers, and alleged possession of a loaded grenade launcher.

On January 20, 2012, Cox and two co-defendants were charged in the same case with conspiracy to kill officers and employees of the United States, including law enforcement officers, "in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1111 and 1114...." The trial began on May 7, 2012. The case went to the jury on Thursday, June 14, 2012.

On June 18, 2012, Cox and codefendant Lonnie Vernon were each found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder. The jury was unable to reach consensus on the conspiracy charge against codefendant Coleman Barney. Barney was, however, convicted of conspiracy to possess unregistered silencers and destructive devices and possession of unregistered destructive devices.

On September 24, 2012, Coleman L. Barney was sentenced to five years in federal prison. On January 7, 2013, Lonnie Vernon and his wife, Karen Vernon, were sentenced to 25 and 12 years, respectively.

On January 8, 2013, Cox was sentenced to 310 months, or nearly 26 years, in federal prison. The conviction and sentence are being appealed. Cox is currently incarcerated at the United States Penitentiary at Marion, Illinois and is not scheduled for release until October 26, 2033.

On December 13, 2013 Cox recanted his claim of mental illness and the Fairbanks News Miner published a thirteen-page letter in which he alleged the Federal government is part of a broad conspiracy that led to his conviction and sentencing. He stated, regarding a forensic psychologist who evaluated him, “She was a short frumpy woman with frizzy hair, beady eyes.” She had testified that he suffers from several paranoid disorders. At the sentencing hearing, Cox told the judge, “I put a lot of people in fear by the things that I said.” “Some of the crazy stuff that was coming out of my mouth, I see that, and I sounded horrible." “I couldn’t have sounded any worse if I tried.” “The more scared I got, the crazier the stuff. I wasn’t thinking, I was panicking.” 

In February 2015, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit denied Cox permission to fire his fourth attorney, one who was currently handling his appeal.

On August 30th, 2017, a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found there wasn't evidence to uphold his conviction for solicitation to murder, but affirmed his conviction for conspiracy. Cox's sentence of nearly 26 years has been vacated in light of the decision, and his case is being sent to a lower court for re-sentencing.

The letter and envelope are both handwritten. The letter is signed, Schaffer Cox. Included are two photos. Both are signed on the back.

Add To Cart